First, let me say happy 4th of July! The weather right now is absolutely perfect. So perfect in fact, we don’t even have the air conditioner on. I have 2 bbq’s to go to, but first I need to stop by the scene of an car accident my grandfather was in to get pictures. Not quite sure how that will work out considering there is TRAFFIC! But hey, my mother requested it, so it will be done.
Moving on, we are T-55 days until Opening Day at the Maryland Renaissance Fair. I am quite excited, as I have been craving for a faire fix lately. And to bide my time, I have been reading books by this great author, Philippa Gregory, who writes fiction in regards to the Tudor family and interesting tales from the 15th-20th centuries. The stories are amazing! I definitely recommend them. The book I am currently reading is “The Virgins Lover”, which is about Queen Elizabeth and her encounters with her dashing men at court, especially Sir Robert Dudley. It is quite a book.
So you would think that even with gaining inspiration from reading that I will have finished more projects. NOPE! You know me, I’m the worlds greatest procrastinator. And this year I said that I will NOT be working on garb the night before faire. So what is my current workload you ask? Let’s see:
- Finish my husbands black and silver doublet-I still need to add clasps and hooks to close it. I also need to add the shoulder flanges, and the peplum tabs at the bottom.
- Start and finish my husbands purple/blue doublet-As of right now, I only have 1 side of the back piece cut out in the main fabric. I had my best friend come over to help me, and her job was to cut out the pieces, she only managed to do 1.
- Start and finish 2 new shirts for my husband-1 black and 1 blue
- Finish my two bodices-The pieces are cut out and bound with bias tape. I just need to place the boning, add the grommets, and straps
- Finish my gown-I started making a semi-noble class gown. I have only gotten so far as to cutting out the under layer of the bodice. I still need to cut the main fabric, add boning, and grommets, pleat the skirt, add skirt to bodice, add trim, and yeah….
- Start and finish two new skirts-simple enough as it is. I need two new skirts to wear with my two new bodices. I need a black skirt, and a dark red skirt. I’m thinking I can make due with just 1 skirt!
- Start and finish a pair of wrap pants-I made a pair of wrap pants for myself out of black gauze-so that is what I am wearing to the ren fair when I feel like being a pirate. My husband wants a pair of wrap pants also.
- Make accessories-bags, cuffs, etc. Never can have too many accessories. My husband somehow broke one of my leather skirt hikes, so those are out for the season. Maybe I can find a pair on Etsy.
So yes, my workload is quite full, but I will try my hardest to get it done. Especially to get it done before the eve of opening day.
And since NO LOCAL STORE carries the black grommets that i’m used to using, i’m forced to be resourceful and go to Home Depot and get them. I am going to pick these up:
They are the General Tools 3/8 grommet kit with refills. Only costs $7.46 and for 24 piece refills, it is $2.96. Doesn’t sound too bad to me! The gold color will work well with my green or gold gown (I haven’t decided on the color yet !), but I may need to spray paint them to work with my black and white, and then my black and red brocade bodice.
I hope to start working on stuff come this week. I am even going to get my husband in on this. Why do I have to do all the sewing and cutting, especially when I am making stuff for him! So yeah, he will become an assistant, and cut out his own items!!!
For now, I must go, bbq’s await!